Sunday, June 9, 2013

Period Drama Challenge: May Tag Questions


May Tag Questions:


1)  What period dramas have you watched in May?

I went to see The Great Gatsby (2013).
2)  Do you enjoy period drama set murder mysteries (such as Hercule Poirot or Sherlock Holmes)?

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1984).

I am an avid fan of Sherlock Holmes.  My favorite adaptations of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's stories are the 1984 TV series called "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes", which starred Jeremy Brett as detective Sherlock Holmes, and the more recent BBC series starring Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes, and Martin Freeman as John Watson, although that version is set in modern London.  I loved the first series of Sherlock, but I think the second series is even more brilliant.  All three episodes of series two are perfection.

Sherlock (2010).




Scarlett O'Hara in her crimson red dress.


3)  If you could choose any period drama character's wardrobe to wear for a day, which character would you choose?

I like a lot of the dresses Margaret Hale wears in North and South, especially the one with the white top, as you can see in the picture below.

Margaret Hale (right) in one of her many beautiful dresses.
I also love Scarlett O'Hara's outfits in Gone with the Wind.  She has so many outstandingly beautiful dresses.  One of my favorite dresses is the red dress in the picture up above.  I don't know if I would wear it, but if I were to wear it, I would like it to be emerald or forest green instead of red.  The shade of red that this dress has is vibrant and looks stunning on Scarlett, but I would rather wear green, as it would go better with my complexion.


4)  Have you ever watched a period drama solely because your favorite actor was in it?

The only reason I watched BBC's Robin Hood was because Richard Armitage played Guy of Gisborne, but quickly I grew fond of the show and loved almost all of the characters.


5)  How many Louisa May Alcott adaptations have you seen?



I have seen Little Women (1994).  I haven't watched it in a long, long, long time.  I remember enjoying it, but not being satisfied with the ending.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, Jeremy Brett and Benedict Cumberbatch -- my two favorite Sherlocks!

    What did you dislike about the ending of Little Women?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherlock is such an addictive show! I love it so so so so so much!! Both Jeremy Brett and Benedict Cumberbatch are brilliant.

      I think I may have felt frustrated, sad, and disappointed that Jo did not end up with Laurie. I had not read the book before watching the movie, so I was surprised that Jo ended up with Professor Bhaer in the end. I could never understand why Laurie married Amy instead of Jo.

      Delete